Parent Visa

The parent migration program enables settled Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible NZ citizens to sponsor their parents to migrate to Australia. 

All Parent Visas have specific eligibility requirements and your parent visa options will depend on factors including whether your child is deemed eligible to be your sponsor; your age and whether you satisfy the health and character requirements; whether you are applying from in or outside Australia and how much financial support you will be able to receive from your family or assurer of support.

Most importantly, you pass a balance of family test, which means that an equal or greater number of their children are Australian, in comparison to their non-Australian children.

It’s important to note that the Australian Government caps the number of parent visas granted each year, resulting in lengthy waiting periods for some Parent Visa pathways. Whilst some visas have extremely long processing times, others are usually processed within a reasonable time frame.

Child Visa

A Child visa lets an eligible parent sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. An eligible parent is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible NZ citizen. 

The child can be inside or outside at the time of application but must be in that same location at the time of visa grant.

This is a permanent residence visa and allows your child to live, work and study in Australia permanently. 

A Dependent Child visa is a temporary visa for the child of a parent who holds a temporary Partner visa that does not already include the child. If this visa is granted, the child also needs to make a permanent Partner visa application before the parent's permanent Partner visa is decided.

An Orphan Relative visa is a permanent visa which allows a child who is single to live in Australia with a relative if their parents are deceased or can't care for them or can't be found.

New Zealand Family Relative Visa


This visa allows someone who is not a New Zealand citizen to live in Australia with their family member who is a New Zealand citizen and who holds either a Special Category (subclass 444) visa and is living in Australia or is eligible to hold a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is accompanying you to Australia.

You must be related to the New Zealand citizen as either their partner, their (or their partner's) dependent child, the dependent child of their (or their partner's) dependent child or a dependent relative. Children must either be under the age of 18, or under 23 and dependant on you, or dependant on your spouse or de facto partner. 

This visa temporary visa and allows you to live and work in Australia for up to 5 years from the date of grant.  It is possible to apply for a second subclass 461 New Zealand Family Relationship Visa, even if the relationship with your New Zealand citizen spouse or de facto partner has broken down. 

Applications can be made inside or outside Australia, however your location at the time of application determines where you must be at the time of grant.  If you apply onshore you are eligible for a Bridging Visa A, allowing you live in Australia whilst waiting for the outcome of your visa application.  

Other Family Visas

A Carer Visa lets you stay in Australia to provide care to someone with a permanent medical condition who does not have reasonable access to care options in Australia. The person you care for must be your relative, or your relative's family member who lives with them.

Eligibility is dependent on several different factors including; the medical condition of the person in need of care; whether the person in need of care is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen; whether there are any other relatives in Australia who can provide the required care or whether the person in need is able to access health services in Australia for the level of care they require and whether you meet the health and character requirements.

A Remaining Relative Visa is a permanent visa lets people live in Australia to be with their remaining near family members who are either Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.

Eligibility is dependent on several different factors including; whether you have you or your partner have any near relatives who usually live outside Australia; whether you have an eligible sponsor; what level of family support, accommodation and financial assistance your sponsor is able to provide you for at least your first two years in Australia and whether you and your family members meet the health and character requirements. 

It’s important to know the Australian Government caps the number of Carer and Remaining Relative Visas granted each year, resulting in very lengthy processing times for this visa.

Get in touch

 Western Migration offer unique levels of service. So, whether you are time poor and want us to take care of everything, or you just want some advice, we have the service that suits your needs.  

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.