Partner Visa

Do you dream of living with your partner in Australia? That’s not just a dream, that’s a very possible reality.

The Australian government offers an Australia partner visa which allows an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor their partner to come and live with them permanently in Australia.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for a Partner Visa, you must be either married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, and most importantly be able to demonstrate that your relationship is genuine.   

In addition to meeting other criteria (age, cohabitation, health), both the applicant and sponsor must also satisfy the character requirements. 

The path to permanent residency consists of two stages, where you are first granted a temporary Subclass 820 Partner Visa or a Subclass 300 Partner Visa.  After approximately two years, if the relationship is still ongoing or there are exceptional circumstances, then you may be eligible to apply for a permanent Subclass 801 Partner Visa or a subclass 100 Partner Visa.  Your dependent children may be included as part of the visa application.


Is my relationship genuine?

Your relationship needs to be considered genuine and will be assessed through four key criteria; including your shared finances, nature of your household, the social aspects of your relationship and your mutual commitment.  In addition, you will also be expected to provide independent witness statements in support of your relationship. Our experienced agents will make suggestions about the types of evidence you can provide and how you can improve your chances of success.   

Where can I apply?

There are two pathways; applying from within Australia (subclass 820/801), or from outside of Australia (Subclass 309/100).  To be eligible to apply onshore you must not have any visa conditions such as 8503 imposed on your current visa. If you apply onshore from within Australia you are eligible for a Bridging Visa A, and depending your circumstances, allowing you to live and work in Australia whilst waiting for the outcome of the Partner Visa application.  

Prospective Marriage Visa

Have you met and fallen in love with an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or New Zealand citizen and are now considering marriage in the future?

The Prospective Marriage Visa is a temporary visa that allows an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor their fiancé to enter Australia for a period of nine months, with the intention of marrying. 

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for a Prospective Marriage Visa you must have met your partner in person (at least once) since turning 18 and engaged to be married.  

Does this visa offer pathways to permanent residency?

Yes, while the Prospective Marriage visa is in effect, it is a condition that the applicant must marry and lodge their partner (subclass 820/801) visa whilst in Australia.  The marriage must take place within 9 months of the date that the Prospective Marriage Visa is granted, and be accepted under Australia marriage law.

Where can I apply?

You must be outside of Australia at the time of application and at the time of grant.  Once granted you can travel to Australia and prepare for your wedding.  During this time, you are permitted to work full time in Australia.  

Get in touch

Western Migration offer unique levels of service. So, whether you are time poor and want us to take care of everything, or you just want some advice, we have the service that suits your needs. 

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.